Saturday, February 25, 2012

Backup and restore database from local drive to hosting server

Hello all,

I'm new to SQL server and I've just seutp a website using the new Visual Web Developer and SQL 2005 Express. I've got my website out on the hosting site server but I need to copy my database file to the hosting site's sql 2005 server. I asked my provider how to do this and they advised to use SQL Server Mgmt Stuido and to perform a backup of my local database file and then do a restore to their server. First they said to create a database on their server using a web based control panel provided with the site controls (this would be a temporary database overwritten by my local copy on the restore - I'm assuming). Then I could do my backup and restore.

I've not been successful doing this. I can connect to their server and my temporary database and can also backup my local database. I cannot, however see how to restore my backup copy to the remote site's sql server. When I choose to restore a database on the remote site, I am only provided with a file browser with folders the SQL Server instance can see. These obviously are not any of my local files so I can't use my local backup. I can't backup my file directly to the server because of the same issue, my local SQL instance can only see my local files, not the remote site directories.

I am probably overlooking something obvious but I really could use any input offered.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Scott

Hi all:

Update to this issue, I finally resolved it. I just decided to recreate the database manually on the server using scripts. I connected in SQL Server Mgmt Studio to my remote db server and ran all the scripts I created from my local database. This took a while but I was able to finally get it finished and it now works great.

No comments:

Post a Comment