Friday, February 24, 2012

Backup a remote SQL Server to local computer?

Is there an easy way to backup a database on a remote SQL Server to a backup file on my local computer?I was thinking of that too. A straight up backup won't work, SQL needsa local device for that. You should be able to replicate the data to alocal database and back that up though. I tried and it didn't work.It's been a while and I haven't persued it so I'm sorry that I can'tprovide details. Take a look in Enterprise Manager, I think I tried theExport function. Of course any backup is only as good as its recoverycapabilities. Whatever you come up with, try it out *before* you need arecovery done :)
|||I think only a database backup tool will do what you want to do. If it is a company network this is what I have done remote into the server do the backup use Winzip to zip the file and email it to whoever needs it yourself included. When restoring use restore from device option in the backup wizard. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment