Saturday, February 25, 2012

Backup and Restore

HI,
This particular question many of them would have answered, but am not able t
o get the right answer for this, request you to please advise me on this.
Scenario:
Full backup --> 12:00 noon
Differential Backup --> 14:00
Transaction log backup 1--> 14:30
Transaction log backup 2 --> 15:00
If the system crashes at 15:15, To restore the db, i'll apply the fullbackup
, diffrential backup and the last two transaction log backup, which means I'
ll be able to restore the db till 15:00. Now my question is, since the syste
m crashed at 15:15, will I
be able to restore the data for the duration of 15 minutes (15:00 to 15:15)
also?
Thanks in advance
YogYog wrote:
quote:

> Scenario:
> Full backup --> 12:00 noon
> Differential Backup --> 14:00
> Transaction log backup 1--> 14:30
> Transaction log backup 2 --> 15:00
> If the system crashes at 15:15, To restore the db, i'll apply the
> fullbackup, diffrential backup and the last two transaction log
> backup, which means I'll be able to restore the db till 15:00. Now my
> question is, since the system crashed at 15:15, will I be able to
> restore the data for the duration of 15 minutes (15:00 to 15:15)
> also?

if the backup file is OK after system crash, you just backup it before
restoring anything and then restore as mentioned and then restore that log
backup
hope this is clear enough
regards
Zarko|||Hi Zarko,
Thanks for the response. You mean to say if Transaction log is OK, then I ca
n back it up and then restore the way I have mentioned, right? I agree with
you...
But what if the whole system crashes (no access to the active files) and I h
ad taken the full backup, differential backup and transaction log backup on
different machine, then would I be able to restore the last 15 mins of data?
Am asking this because, fe
w of my friends claim that this is possible and I wanted to know, how...
Thanks again
Yog|||You should place the
1. log away from data
2. data away from master data
3. mirror the log
This sets you up in a situation where the database data can disappear, yet
you can still do a special log backup ( even when the database data is
gone.) The syntax is backup log prod to disk = ... with no_truncate...
This special log backup will have all of the changes since 15:00 in your
scenario....
In a situation when the whole server crashes, your risk of data loss is the
time between log backups, ...
Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Computer Education Services Corporation (CESC), Charlotte, NC
www.computeredservices.com
(Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
community of SQL Server professionals.
www.sqlpass.org
"Yog" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:74CC2E51-2951-4186-B638-89BC36414962@.microsoft.com...
quote:

> HI,
> This particular question many of them would have answered, but am not able

to get the right answer for this, request you to please advise me on this.
quote:

> Scenario:
> Full backup --> 12:00 noon
> Differential Backup --> 14:00
> Transaction log backup 1--> 14:30
> Transaction log backup 2 --> 15:00
> If the system crashes at 15:15, To restore the db, i'll apply the

fullbackup, diffrential backup and the last two transaction log backup,
which means I'll be able to restore the db till 15:00. Now my question is,
since the system crashed at 15:15, will I be able to restore the data for
the duration of 15 minutes (15:00 to 15:15) also?
quote:

> Thanks in advance
> Yog

No comments:

Post a Comment