Sunday, March 25, 2012

Backup Error:Set property Devices to accomplish this action.

I am getting an error, "Set property Devices to accomplish this action." when doing a backup with SQL Server 2005 Express when I try to do a full (or Differential) backup through the SQL Server Management Studio. I'm using the backup defaults in the GUI and was able to back up the database a couple of days ago without any problem. Today (second time) it just comes up with this error and I have been able to find anything that talks about what it might be.

I tired to look at the script by using the "Script action to new query, file, clipboard, etc." but it fails before it creates the script in any destination. I've rebooted the server and that didn't help.

I found one similar post on this forum but it had no resolution. Any direction on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Some components cannot be installed on an alternative location and have to be installed in the %programfiles% directory. If this one is located on the system drive you will not be able to install it on an alternative drive.

Jens K. Suessmeyer


http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

I did specify the data directory to be in a location other than the program's default but all the code is in the program directory. I will uninstall and reinstall everything in it's default location if that is the problem.

Steve

|||

What do you mean by "all the code" ?

Jens K. Suessmeyer


http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

In the SQL setup you are given the option to store the SQL application ("The Code") in one location and the Data in another. I let the application install in the default location in the program directory and changed the data to be stored in a non-standard directory (ie. c:\data\mssql).

sr

|||

That should work for you.

Jens K. Suessmeyer


http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

I uninstalled everything that had to do with SQL Server 2005 Express and reinstalled. The backup works now but what a way to fix a problem, huh?

Thanks for the replies,

Steve

|||

I spoke too soon... I was able to do the backup a couple of times and now the same error is back!!

Have any more suggestions?

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment