Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Backup failed in "Loading" status. How to restart or recover?

I asked this question before but never received a decent answer. When a restore fails, what are the steps to re-start the restore? This should be a very common issue and for the life of me I have been unable to find it in BOL or the MS site! Please let me in on the secret!!

Thanks

You should be able to just re-issue the RESTORE command to complete the restore.

If you want to try to recovery the database, you can issue RESTORE <dbname> WITH RECOVERY, but if you failed in the middle of a restore it will not let you bring up a knonwn inconsistent database.

|||

Hi!

I tried to issue the "Restore With Recovery" but that failed as well. Dropping the database seems to be the only way to reliably correct this situation. I don't have a big objection to this, but shouldn't this be in BOL and prominently covered in the Backup and Recovery doc? It would save us all a lot of time!

Thanks,

Michael

|||If the statement WITH RECOVERY does not work, I would not rely on the recovered backup anymore and start from scratch as you did.

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

No comments:

Post a Comment