Thursday, March 29, 2012

Backup fails with Error Message SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState:42000) - Need Help !

Hi,

This is my first posting and actually I have big problem which I need to resolve immediately:

I have a 38 GB Database on my SQL Server which I want to full-backup. Until now backup was created on the same volume where the database resides. But now the volume is out of disk space. So what we did is that we connected an external USB disk drive with 500 GB to the SQL Server and try to backup there.

But our first and all consecutive backup attemps failed with error SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000). It's working fine the first few minutes as we can see that the backup file is continously growing. But then it abruptly aborts with above error message.

Can anyone figure out why ? Any help is appreciated.

Thx
Overlord1970Hi

I can't help with the message or backing up onto the usb (never done the latter, don't think I know the former) but can you move stuff off the volume onto the USB drive and backup to the volume as usual?

Obviously this is not something you are too concerned about now but in future you will need to do some capacity planning and trending so you don't get caught in this situation again.|||ok - 42000 turns out to be generic. What's the full error message? How are you backing up (sqlmaint, via DMO, T-SQL, management studio etc)?|||OK. Here some more info which might be usefull:
Database: SQL Server 2000 with SP3
Backup device: Western Digital External USB Drive 500 GB|||OK. Backup failed once again. Full error message reads:

Write on 'F:\New Folder\cpmapp_sun_baymak_full_151107' failed, status = 112, See the SQL Server error log for more details. BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormaly.

I'm using SQL Server Enterprise Manager's SQL Server Backup Utility (with default settings).

NET HELPMSG 112 indicates that 'There is not enough space on the disk'

But the USB drive has more than 390 GB free.
The DB I want to backup is 38 GB big.|||I think I found the cause of the problem:

The Western Digital External USB Storage comes preformatted with FAT32.

On Western Digital's FAQ Page it says:

"A file cannot be transferred to a FAT32 partition if the file is larger than 4GB."

On the other hand, the DB I want to backup is 38 GB big !

I will reformat the external storage with NTFS and try again.

I will post an update after trying :)sql

No comments:

Post a Comment